The Vatican's Congregation of the Clergy has issued (in English) "The Gift of the Priestly Vocation" today, the Feast of Mary's Immaculate Conception. While there are good key sections of the document that reject clericalism (34 § 2) and homosexuality (189 and 199), there are concerning problems with the document that will creep into seminary formation:
- Rejection of seminarians with "ostentatious preoccupation with the liturgy." (42)
- Families, youth, students, and "the poor" must be able to visit seminaries. (52 § 2)
- Suggests the Church Fathers and Doctors invented therapy. (93 ¶ 2)
- Seminarians must tell faculty their life's story (94 ¶ 2) and use social media (97 ¶ 2).
- Seminarians must be taught how to be SJWs. (111, 122, and 172)
- Seminarians must be taught not to judge future parishioners in light of Catholic Moral Tradition. (120)
- Seminarians must be taught to never say that "outside the Catholic Church there's no salvation." (121 and 161)
- Only diocesan priests can be involved in seminary formation. (129)
- Seminarians must be taught about medicine, ecology, and yes, climate change propaganda. (145)
- The seminarian's family should be involved in his priestly vocation even though he is solely responsible for his education at the age of majority. (149)
- Women must be allowed to teach seminary. (151)
- Seminary transfers very discouraged. (198)
God help us if the bishops follow these updated guidelines.
Mary Immaculate, Queen of the Clergy, pray for us.