Wednesday, December 17, 2014

R.I.P. Bill Buckingham (1944-2014), architect friend

It is with great sadness to report that Boston architect William Buckingham passed away this weekend at the age of 70. (His Requiem Mass at All Saints Anglo-Catholic parish in Ashmont is today scheduled for 2PM today; I regret that I just got word a few hours ago...)

I got to know Bill when I chaired a religious architecture committee, and he was against modernist building for sure. For over 40 years Bill designed in traditional styles when it was (and still somewhat is) very unpopular to do so. He mentored and helped me through the tough times I had going at architecture school.

I most recently saw Bill at his office a couple of weeks ago and despite using a respirator, he was working and never thinking about retirement like many architects do. This really shows since when he co-founded Sullivan Buckingham Architects at age 67 to try to preserve traditional building techniques. 

The architecture profession has lost one of its most valuable members. I have the honor and the privilege to know him as a friend and colleague. 

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requesicat in pace. Amen. Anima ejus et animae ominum fidelium defunctorum per misericordiam Dei Requesicat in pace. Amen.