Sunday, June 9, 2013

R.I.P. Gov. Paul Cellucci

Former Massachusetts Governor and U.S. Ambassador to Canada Paul Cellucci passed away with a lengthly battle with ALS last night at the age of 65. He served a selectman for the town of Hudson, a state representative, Lieutenant Governor under Bill Weld (1991-97), and then Governor from 1998-2002. 

I happened to meet Governor Cellucci when visiting the State House with my mother as an eight-year-old, and was honored at the time to meet him. (I can't recall why we were there.)

Although a Republican (during a long-term stretch of GOP governors), Cellucci reportedly did support some abortion rights, according to today's newspaper reports. According to The Boston Globe, funeral arrangements are incomplete, but he will be waked at the State House and a "church service" will be held at his home parish of St. Michael's in Hudson. 

Because of the political nature of this, it seems like that the Governor will not receive a Requiem Mass. Let's hope that a priest will offer a Requiem for him at a later date. 

Requiem aeternam dona ei Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in pace. Amen.

Note: I had a cold today and could not make it to Mass, but I would like to report that the 25,000th visitor viewed this blog last night. I would like to thank everyone who has viewed this blog so far and I hope that you will continue to pray for me to fulfill my vocation as a future Catholic husband to some Catholic wife. 

No comments:

Post a Comment