Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Richard III's funeral should be a Catholic Requiem Mass

I came across this brief, but very powerful and disturbing news article from the London Evening Standard that a priest of the Archdiocese of Westminster is disturbed that Church of England officials are planning a Protestant funeral service for King Richard III, for whose remains were found and positively identified the other day. (Click here to read)

This other comment page asks whether or not he should have the state funeral (regardless of religious tradition) at Westminster Abbey. 

But regardless of whether there is a Church of England separate from Rome, Richard was born, raised, and died a Roman Catholic in medieval Roman Catholic England, pre-Reformation. So he is ENTITLED to a Catholic Requiem Mass! IN LATIN! 

Don't forget that Westminster Abbey and Leicester Cathedral (et al.) were Catholic before Henry VIII couldn't get a divorce, so I wonder what would Richard think about his heirs...

But in any event, I was shocked when I saw the news item on CNN on Monday evening. While I don't know much about King Richard, all I can tell you is that he was a Pre-Reformation king, and England was 100% Catholic until 1534. (You know the rest; just blame Henry!)

Even if he does not get a public state Requiem Mass in his native land, I hope that a priest ANYWHERE in the world will offer a Requiem pretty shortly. 


Requiem aeternam dona eis Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis. Requiescat in pace. Amen. Fidelium amima per misericordiam Dei requiescat in pace. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. -Pax et bonum

    ReplyDelete