You have probably have head the shocking news that His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, will resign from the Papacy on February 28th, 2013 at 8:00 PM Roman Time (3 PM Eastern Time USA).
Because of this, according to Canon Law, a conclave must be held within 15-20 days after a resignation of a pope. (There is no bereavement period.) So, the first day of the Conclave will begin between March 15-20, and will last until a new Pope is elected, regardless of how long it takes. (However, the Vatican spokesman, Fr. Frederico Lombardi, wants a pope just in-time for Easter.)
While this is a total surprise for me anyway, all we have to do is pray that the Holy Ghost will come down on the Cardinals in the Conclave to elect a the next Successor of Peter who will do the following:
- Celebrate the Traditional Latin Mass PUBLICLY on a regular basis.
- Ordain all clerics using the 1962 Roman Pontifical, and require diocesan bishops to do the same.
- Excommunicate ANYONE who supports abortion, gay marriage, contraception, women's ordination, and/or liturgical abuse (including clerics and laymen alike).
- Universally enforce the "No meat on Fridays and during Lent, Ember, & Rogation Days" rule.
- Reprimand priests who refuse the sacraments to people who can't afford a stipend.
- Revive Catholic education at all levels of instruction and scholarship.
- Create support programs to assist young persons with vocations to the priesthood, religious life, and marriage.
- Seriously reach out to the Church of England and receive Canterbury home into Rome, as Benedict has seen more Anglicans who were really Catholics officially join the fold in his tenure than any other Pope, if God willing that Canterbury wishes to take spiritual refuge in Rome.
- Remove Cardinal O'Malley in Boston on Day One (if he is still the Archbishop of Boston), and replace him with someone orthodox.
- Canonically establish the SSPX universally, and consecrate (or delegate the consecration of) some more bishops for the Society, and let them run independently as a religious order like the Franciscans, Benedictines, Jesuits, etc., for whom also have supplied jurisdiction which no one talks about.
This conclave is sort of like the Special Election for U.S. Senate we are going to have in Massachusetts; no one saw this coming, and anything could happen. However, I believe the Cardinal best suited to be the next Pope is H.E. Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke, Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, an American who is very traditional. He says the TLM regularly and has excommunicated several people for disobedience to the Magisterium while Archbishop of St. Louis.
For a list of Cardinals under age 80 who are eligible to vote, please click here.