Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

Our Lady of America
Mother's Day is a Federal Holiday
I was unable to attend Mass today because I had a fever, so I missed the First Communion of four girls and three boys and the May Procession and Coronation at my parish church today. However, this coincides with Mother's Day in the USA, so I wish all mothers out there a happy and blessed Mother's Day.

Also, I am praying that I will be able to see that unidentified young woman at my parish church, who said "hi" to me three weeks in a row, next week when I return to that parish church. I will pray a Rosary for her this week. Chances are she was at Mass today, but how am I going to know for sure when I wasn't actually there? In another words, I will pray that I will get to find out her first name and meet her formarlly in the upcoming, not-so-distant future.

Also, something professionally that is very notewothy will happen on this Thursday, Ascension Day: I will be receiving my associate's degree. This degree will be the first degree from a Whittle in my family since my great uncle Ed several years ago before I was born (I never met him nor my paternal grandfather). So this is an accomplishment. As may know, I am studying to become an architect, and will be entering a five-year bachelor/master's program for architecture in September. While this will take a long time, it will be worth it when I receive my master's in 2017, and then become a registered architect afterwards, provided I have worked 5600 hours (Massachusetts law) for an architect and pass the test.

Also, about Ascension Day, other than the 40th day after Easter and when Christ when up to heaven. Thursday, May 17th, 2012 is a HOLY DAY OF OBLIGATION. This means you are to treat this day like Sunday, and attendance at Mass is required under the penalty of sin.

Also, I have seen calendars that state that Ascension is transfered to Sunday in some states in the USA. Well, THIS IS NOT TRUE. While most Novus Ordo parishes will observe Ascension on the following Sunday, it is not transfered in the 1962 Missal, so you must attend [Latin] Mass this Thursday. HOWEVER, if you are unable to attend a valid Mass on Thursday because of distance (i.e. no transportation like myself), then you are excused from Mass since there is no valid Mass that can be located for that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment