Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Novus Ordo Wedding


This picture, taken by my sister, did not come out that well,
but I'm glad the faces are blurry for confidentiality reasons.

A few weeks ago, a family friend married his longtime girlfriend in her local parish church. The bride's parents were very picky and only allowed two people from each household the groom knew to attend. As a result, I was technically not invited, and did not go. My father and sister (in place of my mother, who is sick) went, and there were double the amount of people for the bride than the groom.

It was a good thing that I did not attend. First of all, the wedding took place in a Novus Ordo parish on a Sunday, where there was just a marriage service, and not a Cookie service. Secondly, it is a sin to marry on Sunday. It is forbidden according to Canon Law. You cannot have a Catholic wedding during Advent, Septuagesima, Lent, on Ember and Rogation Days, all Sundays, and any other Class I feasts (e.g. Christmas or Easter). 

This priest was smart in not allowing a Nuptial Mass on a Sunday, but in the traditional Roman Catholic Church, this action would have not happend. The priest will block out several days on the parish calendar and you would have to live with it.

At least at my wedding will be on a Saturday and done in the traditional matter. That is one of the purposes of this blog.

By not going to that event, I saved a trip to the confessional.

No comments:

Post a Comment